Register
Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 5 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:49 pm 

Hello all and happy new year to everyone!

I managed to pick up my very first burner recently, and I have started to look around for some period correct parts for it.

From what I can tell its a full cro-mo super tuff burner minus the gold coating? It's got 'R' cut outs in the front and rear drop outs so sadly not an aero burner! But the fork bottoms are sealed from the factory?

I just need to know a few things really, I've always wondered what the difference is with the number of teeth available on the outer chain rings and what difference if any that this makes?

40t, 44t and whatever else? Which one do I need ideally?

I wouldn't like to buy the wrong one in error ie one for a mini burner!

Any help would be massively appreciated, can't wait to finish putting this together and going for a ride!

Many thanks stew

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:01 pm 
Site Mod

Going by your description the f&f is from a MK Supertuff as you say....sealed end forks and stamped Full Cro-mo on the rear brake bridge are all signs of an ST Mk2....the MK Ultra also have the same f&f (and bars) but the Ultra f&f are painted black rather than chromed....

The correct factory spec chain wheel you will need is a Sugino 40t in black....

All of the Burner range have a Sugino 40t with the exception of the AP and TAP model which are 44t ( better 'gearing' for want of a better word for racing)..

Russ....

Ps....if you are thinking of building it back up as a MK 2 Supertuff I have listed all the correct parts for this model in this section (Technical) in a thread below this thread of yours....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:31 pm 

Hi Russ,

Many thanks for your help with this query, I can't believe I've got a burner here I never had one the first time around and now at 42 I've got one!

I'm glad I was on the right tracks with it being a super tuff, and it's in brilliant condition too, the only area of pitting is on the upper headset cup and as its on the 'riders side' it's hardly noticeable really.

So far I've got a decent quality sugino spider, and some sugino bolts, I'm just going to look for a black chain wheel now, I don't want to fit a replica. As for the other bits I'm going to fit original items where I can, it's got the original headset which is in good condition, I may just use that, I have seen your spec list Russ and it is very helpful indeed, thanks.

I'll post up some pics as it progresses, can't wait to get it put together now!

Cheers, stew

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:44 am 
Site Mod

Looking forward to seeing your progress mate 8-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:23 pm 

Hi mate, thank you, as luck would have it I've just uploaded some pics taken recently of my build. https://www.flickr.com/photos/129162971 ... 4457243458 I have a tange bottom bracket that arrived in the post today, but I have a feeling that I now need the thin nut or is it a washer(?) That bolts up the chainring to the one piece crank is that right? And where can you get these from?
Many thanks, stew

P.s, I think I have test fitted the spider the wrong way round in the pics, I just loosely assembled it to keep it all together!

Profile E-mail  

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 5 posts ]